HPP is a BC Housing initiative aimed at providing people in identified at-risk groups with portable rent supplements to help them access rental housing in the private market. Hollyburn is contracted to provide a maximum of ten rental supplements a month to North Shore residents that meet program criteria. Since program capacity is extremely limited, priority is assessed based on meeting eligibility criteria and the vulnerability assessment tool provided by BC Housing. Eligibility criteria includes:
- Homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless due to crisis or transition;
- Have proven financial need;
- Living in the North Shore;
- Not currently receiving another rent subsidy.
Identified at-risk groups eligible for HPP support:
- Youth (24 years of age or younger)
- Victims of violence or those that are at-risk of violence
- Those leaving the hospital, healthcare or correctional system
- Individuals who identify as indigenous
For at-risk clients who are seeking housing, services could include:
- Developing a case plan with client;
- Assisting clients fill housing applications for BC Housing and not for profit housing;
- Orienting clients to market housing search tools;
- Referring clients to support services or skills training;
- Where appropriate, accompanying clients to view housing or meet with landlords.
For clients who are currently placed as tenants and are at risk of losing their housing, or those who have recently secured new housing, services could include:
- Providing clients with rental supplements when appropriate (see below);
- Mediating between tenant and landlord if necessary;
- Providing follow-up and on-going support to tenants;
- Referring clients to support services or skills training.
One-time or short-term rent supplements can be provided to eligible (see above criteria) at-risk clients who have proven financial need. The supplements can be used for a variety of purposes that would aid a client in securing and/or maintaining housing. Only ten rental supplements are available through our service, so meeting eligibility criteria does not guarantee the availability of a rental supplement.
Not a resident of the North Shore or looking for another provider?
Visit https://www.bchousing.org/housing-assistance/homelessness-services/find-homeless-prevention-outreach-worker for a complete list of agencies throughout BC that provide HPP services