The Indigenous victim service worker provides information and services in regards to:
- Navigating the criminal justice system
- Safety planning
- Referrals to culturally appropriate programs and supports
- Court protocols
- Emotional support
- Information on government programs and assistance
- Victim impact statements
- Public awareness events
- Interacting with police and hospitals
- And rights, among other things.
The Indigenous Victim Service worker’s services are based on traditional Indigenous ways of knowledge that have been passed down from our Elders, extended families, and ancestors.
Our core values include appreciating the strength and wisdom of our clients’ ways of being, listening with an open heart, being non-judgmental, working and practicing in an anti-oppressive manner, and being inclusive at all times.